The Best Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Generally, Rice Krispie Treats might be considered a child’s dessert. Are they good? Sure! Are they mind-blowing? These sure are!
Brown butter in rice krispie treats? Yum!
Meet the new treat in town--Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats. Brown butter is normal butter that’s been cooked long enough for the milk solids to brown. This process releases a deep, nutty, and fragrant flavor to the butter. It adds such a delicious sophisticated taste to your average marshmallow goodie that I’ll never go back to making your normal run of the mill Rice Krispie Treat.
Unfortunately last year, I was incredibly sick and required home IVs a lot. Thankfully, I have supportive friends and family that step up and take over the responsibility of providing our family dinner when I am on IVs. Often, this recipe would be included in the delivered meal because my family knows how much I love them. Even after struggling to maintain an appetite and gain weight, they knew I couldn't resist one (or five) Brown Butter Rice Krispies.
These might be the key to inducing a stubborn appetite for any person with CF. Every unexpected taste tester has the same reaction to these new and improved desserts--"Wow, these are good!" I hope you enjoy them as well!
Makes 20-24 bars
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cool time: 1 hour
Ingredients for brown butter rice krispie treats
- 8 oz unsalted butter
- 2 10 ½ oz bags mini marshmallows
- 1 12 oz box of Rice Krispies cereal
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Directions for brown butter rice krispie treats
- Grease a 9x13 glass baking dish generously. In a large pot, melt down the butter on medium-low heat. Using a whisk, stir frequently and watch carefully as the melted butter will first foam, then turn a light straw yellow, and finally brown with darker brown bits on the bottom. At this point, the butter should smell nutty and fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Add marshmallows, salt, and vanilla extract. Stir until the mixture is completely melted and smooth. Add cereal to the pot and stir until everything is combined and evenly coated.
- Scrape the mixture into a dish and press lightly with a buttered spatula until flat. Let it cool, then cut into squares, and enjoy!
Would you make these brown butter rice krispie treats?
- calories: 203
- carbohydrate: 38.7g
- cholesterol: 12mg
- fat: 4.5g
- fiber: 0g
- sodium: 147mg
- sugar: 15.8g
Disclaimer: Cystic-Fibrosis.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do your pets help with your cystic fibrosis?