Hearty Cheese Tortellini Soup
It’s winter here in Ohio, and that means it’s time for soup! All the soup!
Soup is one of my favorite dishes to make for dinner (and eat as leftovers for lunch). There’s really nothing like a steaming bowl of soup when the sun begins to set earlier in the day and there’s a chill in the air. It’s soothing for the body and the soul. And it’s the perfect quick dish for a busy, calorie and nutrition-conscious person living with CF.
A simple and satisfying warm bowl of soup
This recipe is a spin on a recipe my mother-in-law makes quite frequently. I once asked her for the verbal recipe and completely forgot what she said, so I improvised. It’s a creamy and hearty soup filled with loads of veggies, italian sausage, and cheese tortellini as the noodles. You get all the best nutrients for a body with CF in one large pot--protein, vitamins, sodium, and fat. I serve it with crusty bread and olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping, and we can’t get enough!
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Ingredients for this hearty cheese tortellini soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 8 oz fresh chopped spinach
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
Directions for the cheese tortellini soup
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, add the olive oil and italian sausage (removed from casings). Crumble and cook sausage until browned, about 8 minutes. Drain excess fat leaving a little bit in the pot.
- Add in the chopped celery, onion, carrots, italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are translucent and tender or about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour and brown for 1 minute making sure it is thoroughly mixed throughout.
- Pour in the chicken stock and add the diced onions. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
- Add tortellini; cover and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, for about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in chopped spinach and cook 1-2 minutes until wilted.
- Pour in heavy cream and stir to mix thoroughly. Serve with toasted crusty bread and olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Enjoy!
- calories: 415
- carbohydrate: 29.8 g
- cholesterol: 79 mg
- fat: 21.2 g
- fiber: 4.3 g
- protein: 28.2 g
- sodium: 1493 mg
- sugar: 6 g
Disclaimer: Cystic-Fibrosis.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Have you (or a loved one) been experiencing any negative side effects from Trikafta?